Miami Beach!

First — Happy Birthday to my sister Megan! She’s 24 today!!

Since we last talked… I went to Miami Beach! I know what you’re thinking, “but Erin… didn’t you just get back from Florida?!” YES! I did. This whole being unemployed thing, aside from my diminishing checking account, is actually kind of nice because I can take off whenever I want to. Okay, not really, but after years of hard work in class, the internship, and studying for my exam, I’ve earned a vacation! Or two.

So anyway. My mom went to Miami Beach last year and went again this year for 8 days. I decided to join her for a few of those days for some sun, sand, and salt (water). South Beach is a very… interesting… place. Colorful. Yea, that’s the right word. While in Miami, I got some sunburn (the downside to being Irish!), some fun runs in, and ate some really good food.

Day 1 (Saturday):

Not much to report since I wasn’t feeling too great but a memorable points: I made it to O’Hare just in time to board my flight, the weather was HOT and SUNNY, I read (and finished a book!) by the pool, and my mom and I made salads for dinner (it was a good salad… and I hate homemade salads).

Day 2 (Sunday):

I was up and out early to catch the sunrise with my mom and a 10K on the boardwalk before the crowds struck. (It was Pride Weekend in South Beach so there were people EVERYWHERE! So many crowds.) Along the boardwalk are all the super nice hotels you see in music videos & movies so it was fun to run along those on one side and the beach on the other. Here’s a photo of the beach and a doofus-selfie.

IMG_0786IMG_0787 (1)

Day 3 (Monday):

Aside from the usual morning run + beach/pool day, mom & I walked over to South Point Pier where we watched a cruise ship embark. THAT was pretty cool. I knew cruise ships were huge but seeing one in person? Ginormous. We also had a late/lunch early dinner at an Italian restaurant.

Day 4 (Tuesday):

Our last full day! I took the morning off from running and instead went for a walk along the beach. I tried, as hard as I could, to spend time with my mom in the sun but ugh, I was sun burnt and being out hurt. But I made it a few hours! After our day on the beach, we headed to Naked Taco for dinner. The reviews on Yelp do not do this place justice! We sat outside on the porch and were welcomed with a (complimentary) tequila & pineapple juice shot. From there, we ordered the chips and guacamole (so creamy!), mom got lobster tacos & I got an assortment of taco-lettuce-wraps.

Day 5 (Wednesday):

Our last day! I got up early and while my mom was cleaning up the Air BnB, I went out for a quick 3 miles. Afterwards, we (and by we, I mean she. She’s a cleaning machine) cleaned up a little more, packed up, and we were on our way home! I got the airport fairly early for my flight and was in and out of security within 5 minutes – if only O’Hare was that quick!

And now? I’m on my flight home, watching the season (series? is it a series?) premiere of Real Housewives of Dallas! (I’m a sucker for reality tv.) I’ll admit I’m ready to be home – I have a few interviews lined up for the next few days and I need to get back into my running routine. The half is 2 1/2 weeks away!


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *